Saturday, October 23, 2004

The Pink Elephant

Today I took my first and maybe only trip to Crawford, TX. You know, the "Western White House." I was surprised at how tiny it was- population is in the field of 700- last time they counted-- which they might count quite often in hopes of bigger numbers- who knows. Anyway it is a cute little place with all it's main street shops- all 3 of them as well as the town hall and police station (which by the way- there was no one at)-- placed quaintly across from the railroad tracks and next to the only gas station/restaurant in town. You should go - just to see it.

We were looking around in the little stores- just browsing. Adam's parents were with us- so while they were more intently looking for something to purchase Adam and I waited outside. While I was sitting there I noticed something that didn't quite fit-- confetti on the side walk in front of this particular store. Not just any regular confetti- but rather elephant confetti, white elephants, purple elephants and pink elephants. I became very amused- not because I had just been to the Mayborne Museum and seen what the actual size of a Mammoth's head (related to elephants)-- but because these elephants were just for a political purpose. Someone didn't just step outside this store and throw some confetti to celebrate elephants.

I was amused- because some where- someone thought to make elephant and probably donkey confetti out of rather "girlie" colors. It is things like this - that make my stomach turn at the thought of American politics. Just these small details-- overseas people who are just trying to grasp freedom and democracy are more worried about dying and we are throwing confetti shaped as animals- but only elephants and donkeys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home